The work is part of Botticelli's mature production. Originally, the work was located in the Palazzo Capponi in Florence, designed by Lorenzo di Bicci in 1410 on the orders of Niccolo da Uzzano.
The Blessed Virgin, dressed in a black and green chasuble with an embroidered border on a red garment, tenderly embraces Jesus which she wears to her face; she sits on the edge of a stone bench which, returning to the forefront of the stage, shows an open book and writings.
The little Saint John is placed on the left, standing with his hands joined, in adoration; he wears a red garment tied on his shoulder over his animal skin, which can be seen at the level of his uncovered right shoulder.
The landscape at the bottom is made up of low hills and a large rock on the left, topped by a grove. the landscape blends into the atmospheric perspective in a sky, shaded by blue.
The three characters wear a halter in a very marked golden disc.
Size of paper sheet
Height: 56 cm
Width: 38 cm.
Origin: Third Republic (1870-1945). Order of 25 January 1866
Artist: Sandro di Mariano Filipepi, known as Botticelli, 1445-1510, Italy
Engraver: Claude-Ferdinand Gaillard, 1834-1887, France
Direct delivery in 6-7 weeks